Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thriller Dance Classes


“Cause this is thriller, thriller night
And no one’s gonna save you from the beast you strike
You know it’s thriller, thriller night
You’re fighting for you life inside a killer, thriller night.”

Like most everyone who has ever turned on the radio, I have sang right along to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” And after his passing, I wanted to get an insight to some of his iconic dance moves. A dance studio in Denver, Dance Art Studios, was offering just what I was looking for, thriller dance lessons.

The mystical music was jamming, the howling began and the music peaked. It was go time. We walked eight counts in our best zombie fashion, and eight more adding in the head twitches. Keeping the zombie mindset, we added more into the mix throwing our heads and moving our hips simultaneously, and it was all I could do to try and add grace into the mix.

It would be hard for anyone to dance like M.J., all of his intricate, crisp and subtle movements. His unparallel energy makes it look like he was meant to dance through life, instead of walk.

I continued on kicking my feet to the left and to the right, arms in the air and shimmying on down. Waving my hands in the air then tapping my foot in a circle around me to turn. We kept the pace going and rehearsing the moves that we learned.

By the end of the class we were running smoothly and keeping pace. The classes are divided into four one hour classes. And by the end of the fourth class you could to be thrilling on any thriller night.

No comments:

Post a Comment